TPS Lawyer

Temporary Protected Status in South Florida

Are you currently residing in the United States and afraid to return to your home country because it’s unsafe to do so? Your country might be engaged in armed conflict or still picking up the pieces after a natural disaster. The United States government designates some countries for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). This means people in those countries can apply for a status adjustment to temporarily live and work in the United States. 

Once granted, you can remain in the United States until it’s safe to return to your home country. Because getting approval is so important, speak to a South Florida TPS lawyer.

TPS Eligibility Requirements

Your TPS lawyer in South Florida will help you determine if you’re eligible. Eligibility requirements include: 

  • Must be a national of a country that the government has designated for TPS or not have a nationality and last resided in such a country 
  • File for TPS during the open initial registration or re-registration period or meet the late initial filing requirements 
  • Have been continuously physically present and residing in the U.S. for a predetermined period of time

Legal Rights With Tps

If you are granted TPS, you will receive a temporary stay that prevents deportation, along with temporary work authorization. In addition, you can apply for advance parole to travel outside of the United States and then return. You have to submit a new advance parole petition every time you want to leave the country. If you fail to do so, you might not be granted re-entry.

You might have the option to adjust your status to become a lawful permanent resident. To qualify, you need to be eligible through an employment-based or family-based petition. For instance, if you marry a U.S. citizen while you are here, you can petition for permanent lawful status. The court will consider whether your petition would have been granted if you still resided outside the country. If the answer is yes, you can receive permanent lawful resident status and then take steps to become a U.S. citizen through naturalization if you wish.

How Long Does Tps Last?

Upon designation, a country’s TPS is valid for 6-18 months. Then, the government reviews the conditions in that country to see if it can reabsorb its nationals. If it cannot, the government will extend the status for another 6-18 months. This is a continuous process.

You have to register to maintain your TPS after each review period. If you don’t register, you will lose your status and have to go back to your home country. Your South Florida TPS lawyer can assist with your initial application, as well as renewals. 

Family Immigration in South Florida

Tell Us About Your Case

Contact Us Today for Your
Free Case Evaluation

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Why Choose Santos Law offices

  • Free Consultation – Go over your case during the free phone consultation. 
  • Highly Rated – The firm has received numerous rave reviews and recommendations on Google and Avvo.
  • Bilingual – Dalyla Santos and the staff at The Santos Law Offices are fluent in English and Spanish, ensuring that each client receives proper representation. 
  • Multiple Practice Areas – The Santos Law Offices specializes in bankruptcy, civil litigation, insurance claims, and immigration. 
  • Personalized and Affordable Legal Services – Dalyla Santos truly cares about her clients. She provides personalized and affordable legal services to help individuals and citizens throughout South Florida.
  • A Firm With Purpose – The Santos Law Offices gives back to the community through pro bono work, mentorships, and charitable donations. Also, employees are supported and recognized for the work they do.

What Happens If Your Application Is Denied?

Your South Florida TPS lawyer can assist you if your application is denied. First, you might be eligible to file an appeal or motion.  If removal proceedings started when the government denied your application, you cannot appeal. However, your lawyer can ask the judge to rule on the application. If the judge rules in your favor, you’ll be granted a temporary status adjustment and can stay in the United States. The USCIS recommends that applicants consult with a lawyer if their applications have been denied. The Santos Law Offices can review your options and then file the necessary paperwork.

What If The Us Has Reached The Limit For U Visas?

If the federal government does not renew your country’s TPS, you will no longer be protected under this program. Instead, your status will go back to what it was before receiving Temporary Protected Status. However, you can avoid this by changing your immigration status while you’re still protected. For instance, if you’re eligible to become a lawful permanent resident, you can apply and receive a status adjustment. Then, when the TPS designation ends, you won’t be affected.

Tell Us About Your Case

Contact Us Today for Your
Free Case Evaluation

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.